Re: [SLUG] ISO silent computer

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Mar 28 2010 - 22:24:19 EST

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, Eben King wrote:
>>
>>> I would like a silent computer, running some flavor of *nix, and
>>> communicating wirelessly. I had an aquarium computer for a few days,
>>> until it developed a crack and dumped half its contents on the floor a few
>>> days ago. What a mess. Anyhow, I'm open to any suggestions, especially
>>> ones that are low cost and/or don't look like computers (but wouldn't look
>>> out of place in a bedroom). My friend has one of these:
>>>
>>> http://www.techchee.com/2009/05/18/compulabs-fit-pc2-worlds-smallest-pc/
>>>
>>> but at $300 it'll have to wait a while. So, what do y'all recommend?
>>
>> I forgot to say: it doesn't need to be very powerful. Its main job is
>> playing MP3s, and a P1@75 or PPC601@66 can do that.
>
> Perhaps wife or gf has an MP3 player? Or, maybe your *own* MP3 player?

Yeah, but you can't ssh to it and stop/start songs, it can't use a SMB
server, you can't use cron to make it into an alarm clock of sorts, etc.

> I got one at Christmas time for $12 and tax. I guess an MP3 player is a
> computer of sorts.
>
> Using a real computer in bed is insomniac anyway.

No, I wouldn't use it in bed. I want silence when it's sleepy-time.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81

Q: Why do black holes never learn? A: Because they're too dense. -- ZurkisPhreek on Fark ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.