[SLUG] Re: handheld computer

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon May 24 2010 - 01:43:14 EDT

On Fri, 21 May 2010, Eben King wrote:

> I just got a Nokia N810 "Internet Tablet". It's a gizmo that looks like a
> PDA, has a slide-out QWERTY (sorta) keyboard, a user-facing 176x144 camera,
> and speaks 802.11g and Bluetooth, among other things. It runs Maemo, which
> is a distro related to Debian.

> So, has anyone dealt with a similar device, or have an idea about where to
> get smbfs or an MP3 player that speaks SMB?

Solved it. SMB's not involved, neither is NFS. I mount ~/mp3 from the
desktop as /mnt/mp3 (readonly) using sshfs. I have a M3U there (basically a
list of filenames) and I random-play through that list using mpg321.
Playing through alsa gives regular ticks, so something isn't implementing
needed buffering/caching. Whatever, playing through esd solves it. I am
still not able to adjust the volume without going in there. I need to find
a CLI mixer (a la alsamixer) for it.

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.mine.nu:81
PISCES:  Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola