Re: [SLUG-POL] The lunatic state of california

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 00:12:48 EDT

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Steven Johnson wrote:

> Until someone else can cooberate this story, I will discount it as an Urban
> Legend.

Seems to be apocryphical, the read was too humorous to be
credible. But see: Amer Assoc Pediatratics Policy Statement paper:

  http://www.aap.org/policy/04711.html

at Recommendation 2

----------------

See in CA in the state chapter of that organization, also:

  http://www.aapca1.org/aapca1/nl984.html

at the section "Missed Opportunities"

  "... we commonly miss opportunities in our offices and
patient interactions ... to screen for the presence of
firearms in the home"

----------------

But then, gasoline will explode, and I keep a couple of cans
of it for the lawnmower in the closed garage [closed so my
lawn mower is not stolen]. If it is ignited or the vapors
ignite, should my child's pediatrician have 'screened' my
child for the risk factor of a lawn?

Indeed, I bought a set of pool passes for the family -- Easily
a factor of 10 x more people drown than are accidentally
killed with firearms each year. I'll ask the pediatrician for
the kids about 'screening' for this risk when I see her at the
pool -- oh, wait, she and HER family go to a private pool on
the other side of town -- I know because one of my children
was invited last year to babysit at that pool.

... I wonder if she'll then file the necessary paperwork to
have me commited for asking such crazy questions?

Lunacy knows no limits, it seems.