Re: [SLUG-POL] Religious Expression

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 00:15:51 EDT

--- Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:
> Transferred to the politics list...
>
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 07:14:17PM -0400, Maureen L.
> Thomas wrote:
>
> > In light of the acts of terrorism today I must, no
> I am compelled to do this.
> > For all the lives lost today, I pray for them. I
> also pray for all the
> > loved ones left behind. Give strength to all who
> are there trying to help
> > find the wounded and treat them. To those who
> will feed the helpers, I
> > pray. Give them all the strength they need to do
> the job they must
> > do. Gentle hold those who need your touch. All
> will be in my prayers now
> > and throughout this ordeal.
> >
> > I apologize if I have offended anyone on this
> list. Maureen
> >

> You know, it's amazing to me that a country whose
> first European
> settlers came here to escape religious persecution,
> now 350 years later,
> has such a climate of religious intolerance that
> people have to
> apologize for offering up public prayers. This
> certainly was not what
> the Framers intended. What an astounding perversion
> of the Constitution.
>
> And even if you didn't agree with someone's choice
> of religion, how
> could you take offense at their sincere expression
> of it?
>
> Pretty sad state.
>
> Paul

Agreed. The fact that people percieve the act of
public prayer as "forcing one's belief's on another"
is not only sad, it is dispicable. It's like we've
given up the freedom of speech in order to have the
"freedom to not make people feel inadequate." Granted,
the OVERT expression of religion in a non-religious
setting can be bothersome to some, people forget that
with freedom of speech and religious expression is
freedom to ignore and the freedom of being and letting
being.

I've been glued to the TV today since 9:15 or so, when
I woke to the tv saying "And a second plane has just
crashed...". Having flown this weekend to/from the
Baltimore/Washington,D.C. area, this caught my
attention. I never in my wildest dreams believe
something like this could happen. This was the most
horrific thing I could have imagined.

May God have mercy upon them all. May he be with them
in this time of need.

P.S.
DONATE BLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Namaste,