Re: [SLUG-POL] Alright, I'm here ...

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 02:19:30 EDT

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 12:25:21AM -0400, Russ Herrold wrote:

> Hi, Paul ...
>
> Two images http://www.owlriver.com/images/axollt.jpg
> and http://www.owlriver.com/images/axoltl.jpg

Whoosh! (That was the sound of the relevance of those images going over
my head. ;-)

> The expressed sentiment does not bother me. 'Actions have
> consequences' as the new catchphrase goes. But that sword has
> two edges ... Which one is the terrorist? One carries the
> danger; the other is fine.
>
> The use of the tools which produced the difference is
> proposed to be restricted in the name of public safety. As
> are various other of your Constitutional and Amendatory
> protections. Is not the fear of that more concrete than of a
> 'bogey-man' terrorist demonized with jingo-istic rhetoric?

Yes, there's that quote about liberty vs. security. There has been talk
about national identity cards, and Gephart has been spewing about how
we're going to have to give up some freedoms here.

Frankly, there's a certain amount of danger inherent in living in a free
society. We've been fortunate to this point. But it's something we live
with in return for freedom.

Incidentally, Larry Ellison volunteered to set up a national database
and donate the software for it (oh how humanitarian of him). He claimed
that privacy is an illusion anyway, something I'm sure billg would agree
with. As evidence of his point, he proclaimed that you could pull a
credit report on your neighbor. What he didn't say is that such a thing
is illegal.

And another thing, while I'm rambling: people are complaining about the
idea of cramping the flow of immigrants into this country. I want to
know what gives anyone the right to enter this country under our
Constitution. Likewise, what part of the Constitution bestows the rights
of American citizens on those who aren't.

And this is not a casual intellectual exercise for me. I have a daughter
in the Navy. At some point, she will likely get deployed. But I
recognize that this is a sacrifice she and her mother and I may have to
make for the cause of freedom. And I can think of few things more worth
such a sacrifice. I wouldn't even trade freedom for _her_ security.

Paul