Re: [SLUG-POL] open source projects for national security?

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 21:56:17 EDT

Tina Gasperson wrote:
> 1. I care deeply about my liberty and rights as a
> citizen of this country. However, I'm not as concerned
> about the civil rights of visitors and non-citizens
> because I believe the safety of our citizens comes
> first. I don't think we should open any concentration
> camps or close off our borders, but keeping tabs is
> legit, in my book. What do you think? Should we track
> the whereabouts and activities of aliens? If you think
> not, don't bother with the next point. :-)

Through most of the Clinton administration, the federal government
had shown they cannot track foreign nationals, much less prevent
them from getting top secret clearances! Even those on the FBI's
watch list!

> 2. Designing such a system would make a great open
> source project. Or not. What do you think? Could we
> rally enough serious support to carry it? I think the
> government (NIST) would get behind it.

I think the NSA already has something that does such. "Secure
Linux" from the NSA isn't just about tightening the kernel, it's
about adding a backdoor for monitoring too.

> 3. Thinking along those lines, what are some other
> potential war effort projects that the open source
> community could do a much better job at than the
> usual suspects?

No. Definate conflict of principles.

-- TheBS

--