Re: [SLUG-POL] open source projects for national security?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 03:31:52 EDT

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 09:56:17PM -0400, Bryan-TheBS-Smith wrote:

> Tina Gasperson wrote:
> > 1. I care deeply about my liberty and rights as a
> > citizen of this country. However, I'm not as concerned
> > about the civil rights of visitors and non-citizens
> > because I believe the safety of our citizens comes
> > first. I don't think we should open any concentration
> > camps or close off our borders, but keeping tabs is
> > legit, in my book. What do you think? Should we track
> > the whereabouts and activities of aliens? If you think
> > not, don't bother with the next point. :-)
>
> Through most of the Clinton administration, the federal government
> had shown they cannot track foreign nationals, much less prevent
> them from getting top secret clearances! Even those on the FBI's
> watch list!

I think this is easily fixed. The Sept 11 intel breakdown had mostly to
do with lack of information sharing.

> > 2. Designing such a system would make a great open
> > source project. Or not. What do you think? Could we
> > rally enough serious support to carry it? I think the
> > government (NIST) would get behind it.
>
> I think the NSA already has something that does such. "Secure
> Linux" from the NSA isn't just about tightening the kernel, it's
> about adding a backdoor for monitoring too.

You're saying the kernel code donated by the NSA to Linux contains a
back door? Please cite the specific kernel source file and line number
if possible.

While I trust the NSA probably as much as you do, and while I suspect
they'd love a back door, I haven't heard anything about them providing
such in the code.

Paul