Re: [SLUG-POL] open source projects for national security?

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 09:57:45 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:
> I think this is easily fixed. The Sept 11 intel breakdown had
> mostly to do with lack of information sharing.

No, it had to do with the lack of _any_ human intelligence on our
part.

In 1995, the Clinton administration basically _destroyed_ our human
intelligence services with one executive order.

> You're saying the kernel code donated by the NSA to Linux contains a
> back door? Please cite the specific kernel source file and line number
> if possible.

Yes! This is _common_knowledge_! One of the major reasons why the
NSA introduced Secure Linux was to introduce a way in which it could
be monitored. This is not some "big secret", it's by design!

> While I trust the NSA probably as much as you do, and while I suspect
> they'd love a back door, I haven't heard anything about them providing
> such in the code.

Dude, what part of "monitoring" do you not get? Read the docs.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer   AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.   http://www.linux-wlan.org