Re: [SLUG-POL] open source projects for national security?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 15:13:14 EDT

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 09:57:45AM -0400, Bryan-TheBS-Smith wrote:

> Paul M Foster wrote:
> > I think this is easily fixed. The Sept 11 intel breakdown had
> > mostly to do with lack of information sharing.
>
> No, it had to do with the lack of _any_ human intelligence on our
> part.
>
> In 1995, the Clinton administration basically _destroyed_ our human
> intelligence services with one executive order.

Very true.

> > You're saying the kernel code donated by the NSA to Linux contains a
> > back door? Please cite the specific kernel source file and line number
> > if possible.
>
> Yes! This is _common_knowledge_! One of the major reasons why the
> NSA introduced Secure Linux was to introduce a way in which it could
> be monitored. This is not some "big secret", it's by design!

Again, perhaps true, but cite the docs and source code that make this
plain. "Common knowledge" != truth.

> > While I trust the NSA probably as much as you do, and while I suspect
> > they'd love a back door, I haven't heard anything about them providing
> > such in the code.
>
> Dude, what part of "monitoring" do you not get? Read the docs.

I just skimmed over some of them. I don't see anywhere that the NSA
says, "We're doing this so we can monitor systems which have Linux on
them." So please let me know where I can find such documentation.

I'm being argumentative, of course. I suspect that the NSA would love
nothing better than to be able to hack Linux boxes. And they may have
designed a patch that slots right in to provide a back door for them. My
point is that it sounds like you're saying that such a back door is in
the production source code right now, available for anyone to see. I
don't think that's true, or there would have been a total rejection of
the effort by the Open Source community. But if that's really what
you're saying, again, let me know where it is.

Paul