Re: [SLUG-POL] open source projects for national security?

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 16:00:55 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:
> I just skimmed over some of them. I don't see anywhere that the NSA
> says, "We're doing this so we can monitor systems which have Linux on
> them." So please let me know where I can find such documentation.

It's not so much so the NSA can monitor them, but companies and
organizations can monitor their systems, or allow 3rd party
monitoring when requested.

> I'm being argumentative, of course. I suspect that the NSA would love
> nothing better than to be able to hack Linux boxes.

Sometimes I think people just don't bother to listen or realize the
"whys". The NSA is not about "hacking" people, they are about being
able to gather information how and when they want it.

> My point is that it sounds like you're saying that such a back door is in
> the production source code right now, available for anyone to see. I
> don't think that's true, or there would have been a total rejection of
> the effort by the Open Source community. But if that's really what
> you're saying, again, let me know where it is.

I haven't dorked with SE Linux. But the monitoring tools are
there. Because of the OSS nature of Linux, there is no way the NSA
can create a "backdoor" they only know about. What they are
providing is a tightened kernel with extensive monitoring features.
That's all.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413