[SLUG-POL] open source projects for national security?

From: Tina Gasperson (tinahdee@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 14:36:12 EDT

The editor of Forbes magazine was on Fox News today
and said that the "west coast" (read Silicon Valley)
should get busy designing security applications for
the US. The theme of the show was how businesses and
entrepreneurs can get involved in the war effort. He
suggested something along the lines of a system that
would keep track of visitors to this country.

1. I care deeply about my liberty and rights as a
citizen of this country. However, I'm not as concerned
about the civil rights of visitors and non-citizens
because I believe the safety of our citizens comes
first. I don't think we should open any concentration
camps or close off our borders, but keeping tabs is
legit, in my book. What do you think? Should we track
the whereabouts and activities of aliens? If you think
not, don't bother with the next point. :-)

2. Designing such a system would make a great open
source project. Or not. What do you think? Could we
rally enough serious support to carry it? I think the
government (NIST) would get behind it.

3. Thinking along those lines, what are some other
potential war effort projects that the open source
community could do a much better job at than the usual suspects?