Re: [SLUG-POL] open source projects for national security?

From: Jim Wildman (jim@rossberry.com)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 23:51:33 EDT

Care to cite any sources for "the history of profiling"? I've heard it
said that there have been no definitive studies on abusive police
profiling. I saw a very interesting article where a journalist was
invited by a police officer to ride in his cruiser (at night) and to
try to correctly 'profile' those he pulled over. (It's impossible at
night, difficult in the day.)

We all profile people and we are all in favor of it. We all assign
values to people based on their appearance and our perception of
their possible behaviors based on our past experiences with similar
folks. Whether it is looking for a date, or trying to avoid the too
talkative coworker or the reckless driver or the mugger in the stairway.

Jim Wildman jim@rossberry.com
903-736-4393