Re: [SLUG-POL] open source projects for national security?

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 09:08:32 EDT

Jim Wildman wrote:
> Care to cite any sources for "the history of profiling"? I've heard it
> said that there have been no definitive studies on abusive police
> profiling.

The Brevard Sheriffs office has violated people's rights about a
couple hundred times. I don't see how they get away with it. A
deputy can be court-ordered a half dozen times to not pull people
over for certain "violations" but they do it anyway. Frankly, I
loved it when that Miami-Dade officer knocked the shit out of that
one deputy.

Note to self: Don't be black heading south on I-95 and have over
$50 in your wallet

> I saw a very interesting article where a journalist was
> invited by a police officer to ride in his cruiser (at night) and to
> try to correctly 'profile' those he pulled over. (It's impossible at
> night, difficult in the day.)

Depends on the county. But there are way too man "incidents" over
on the east coast.

> We all profile people and we are all in favor of it. We all assign
> values to people based on their appearance and our perception of
> their possible behaviors based on our past experiences with similar
> folks. Whether it is looking for a date, or trying to avoid the too
> talkative coworker or the reckless driver or the mugger in the stairway.

Ummm, not all of us do that dude.

E.g., as far as "dates," my friend in high school used to joke how
one day I'd have the hottest girl at school and the next I'd have
the ugliest. I dated people for their personality, _never_ for
their looks.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413