Re: [SLUG-POL] Re: [SLUG] OT: Using your IT skills for good or evil

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2006 - 11:54:03 EST

Levi Bard wrote:
>>When sex becomes a casual thing, societies fall apart. Look at history, every
>>single society where promiscuity is common place, is gone. I find it an
>>excellent yardstick for how ethical a society is. Having travelled half the
>>world it's served me well.
>

> Every single society that predates the modern era is gone. I don't
> think you can blame promiscuity for that; it's just the way it goes.
> Also, please name for me some societies where promiscuity is *not*
> commonplace - the only ones I can think of are in Muslim
> fundamentalist theocracies.

Promiscuity didn't cause it. It was an *indicator* of the pending demise
of past societies. There were other indicators as well, generally
related to a degradation of morality and ethics.

You can't name current societies without rampant promiscuity (except for
fundamentalist theocracies), because there *aren't* any currently.

(Thanks for putting this on the politics list!)

--
Paul M. Foster