Re: [SLUG] Mount point does not exist

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 17:34:56 EDT

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 05:48:32PM -0400, Frank Roberts wrote:

> In my poretual attempts to acquire the latest Mandrake - Mandrake 8.0 I
> moved my burner from my home machine into the new office machine.
>
> After configuring /etc/fstab to accept the additional settings by the
> addition of the following line:
>
> Line for original installed cd reader
> /mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660, dev=/dev/cdrom
> 00
>
> Added line for cd rw
> /mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660, dev=/dev/cdrom
> 00

Your second line is identical to the first, and so is unneeded.
/dev/cdrom can only point to one of them. In addition, at least for a
RH6.2 fstab, the first item on the line must be something in the /dev
directory, the second item is the mount point. (Your other parameters
look a little odd as well.) In addition, since both CDs could be in use
at the same time, you need different mount points for them.

In any case, I think the lines should start out something like:

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom1
/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2

> I get an error message on boot that mount point does not exist.

Did you check ls -l /mnt/cdrom ?

> Could some one please point me in the direction of how does one creat a
> moint point.

A mount point is just a directory. Use the mkdir command. If you want to
symlink something to an existing directory or file:

ln -s original-file-or-dir name-of-new-link

HTH,

Paul