Re: [SLUG] Thats it,, I have had it!!

From: herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 11:00:57 EDT

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Norbert Cartagena wrote:

> As far as I know, Compaq doesn't play very nice with GNU/Linux.

Hunh? This will come as a great surprise to several firewalls, RAS
dialup/fax servers with Rocketport cards, DHCP/DNS servers, and
stray boxes which I manage -- I find the Compaq hardware fine, when
using reliable parts.

There were such assertions perhaps 5 years ago that Compaq was using
some non-standard parts (The Presario's were thought to be touchy on
the 72 pin ram they would accept) -- but I run hardware dating back
to the 386/sx 16 era through the present, and it all runs fine --
Red Hat or Debian (OpenBSD too).

... The initial complaint was a bit vague -- what specific issues
were being encountered?

-- Russ