[SLUG] Misc. Annoyances (Hostname/DNS, Samba and Gnome)

From: mep_lists_843@att.net
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 10:53:26 EDT

Just wondering if anyone here has already solved these
miscellaneous problems I've been having:

- Fully qualified hostname:

  My computer is connected to the network either by
  a cable modem behind a router/firewall (IP address
  is private, i.e. 192.168.*.*), or by ppp (dialup).

  What should I call my machine where a fully
  qualified domain name is requested in config files
  like /etc/sysconfig/network? I like to call my
  machine granite, but something like (for example)
  "granite.example.net" is not a correct DNS name for
  my machine and I don't want it to show up in email
  headers, etc. Should it be "granite.localdomain"??
  Maybe I should use "example.net" just to make
  sure it doesn't resolve to someone elses computer
  (example.net is reserved by IANA for ... examples).

 - Samba: I always have trouble getting the initial
   connection to my Linux machine when browsing the
   network from a windows machine.

   The Linux machine is not visible in the network
   neighborhood listing and I get a timeout or
   "the network is busy" when trying to browse the
   Linux machine.

   If I try again later, it always works. There are
   error messages in the logfiles, but I won't post
   them here unless someone requests it.

 - Gnome: I have icons for my filesystems,
   I guess they were generated from my fstab(?)-- one
   is a zip drive, the other my windows partition.
   They have names like "Device 0" and "Disk 0".
   I can figure out which is which from icon
   properties and rename them, but they revert back
   to the unhelpful names on the next login.

Any ideas on any of these topics?

-- Mark Polhamus -- mep_lists_843@att.net