Re: [SLUG] Misc. Annoyances (Hostname/DNS, Samba and Gnome)

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 23:15:25 EDT

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 02:53:26PM +0000, mep_lists_843@att.net wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone here has already solved these
> miscellaneous problems I've been having:
>
> - Fully qualified hostname:
>
> My computer is connected to the network either by
> a cable modem behind a router/firewall (IP address
> is private, i.e. 192.168.*.*), or by ppp (dialup).
>
> What should I call my machine where a fully
> qualified domain name is requested in config files
> like /etc/sysconfig/network? I like to call my
> machine granite, but something like (for example)
> "granite.example.net" is not a correct DNS name for
> my machine and I don't want it to show up in email
> headers, etc. Should it be "granite.localdomain"??
> Maybe I should use "example.net" just to make
> sure it doesn't resolve to someone elses computer
> (example.net is reserved by IANA for ... examples).

Call your machine anything you like on your local network. My home
machines are rocky, peabody and gumby. My home network is mars (not
mars.com). If you're using a dynamic IP and local IP addresses behind
the router, you're fine. The internet can't reach these addresses, since
they're local.

Your MTA (usually sendmail) will masquerade you as anything you want,
regardless of what the actual machine names are. But that's only in your
message headers. MTAs generate "envelopes" around your emails, and some
ISPs (like mine) will not accept anything like mikep@mylocalnet. But I
found it impossible to get sendmail to masquerade my envelopes. So I use
exim instead, which _will_ simply masquerade envelopes. Sendmail will
probably do this, but I just never found out how. You may not have this
problem with your ISP. You can fire off a few test emails to check it.

> - Samba: I always have trouble getting the initial
> connection to my Linux machine when browsing the
> network from a windows machine.
>
> The Linux machine is not visible in the network
> neighborhood listing and I get a timeout or
> "the network is busy" when trying to browse the
> Linux machine.
>
> If I try again later, it always works. There are
> error messages in the logfiles, but I won't post
> them here unless someone requests it.

When you reboot your Windows machine, does it require you to log onto
the Samba shares that reside on your server? I have samba in
set-it-and-forget-it mode. I works, so I don't mess with it. If you
like, I can send you my smb.conf.

Paul