[SLUG] What is an Open Sourced Company?

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 11:45:21 EDT

Just finished reading this story in Newsforge

http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/05/04/2157218

I noticed one of the companies listed as an Open Source companies was
Apple. HUH!??!?! Personally, I DON'T think of them as Open Source
company. I mean, yeah, they put out Darwin, but that was pretty much out
anyways in the form of *BSD.

SO the quuestion I pose is this: What qualifies as an "Open Source"
Company? Are they companies who base part of their stuff in already
existsing code, really giving nothing back? Are they companies who
simply "work" with open sourced systems (such as if MS made Office and
Backdoor... err I mean Exchange, and IE work with GNU/Linux and/or *BSD,
would they be considered an Open Source Copmpany)? What exactly defines
an Open Source Company?

Norb