[SLUG] Strange but interesting DHCP problem with Mandrake 8.0

From: Federico Paini (federico@federicopaini.com)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 12:56:23 EDT

Hi all,

I have a interesting problem that happened only with Mandrake 8.0 and not
with the previous releases.
I access to the Internet thought Americast Worldwind Cable Service, I've
been using this service for over two months and I've never had any problem
with Mandrake 7.1 and 7.1, the DCHP works fine and get the IP address from
the server just as it should be.
Anyway, recently I upgrade my Linux OS with the new Mandrake 8.0, everything
works fine except the DHCP with my cable internet, it hangs and it can not
get the IP address for the Americast's server (which is a Windoze 2K
server).
I also tried to restart the NIC (a 3com card) manually but nothing, it just
wait and wait and can not get the IP address, so I was forced to reinstall
back the 7.2 and works fine.
It might be a PUMP problem or a Kernel problem, anybody has any idea about
it?
Has anybody experience the same problem maybe with other cable provider?

Ciao
Federico