Re: [SLUG] Linux benchmark story

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 09:05:50 EDT

I probably should post this to the talkback forum, instead of here, but,
what the h...

Linus complained about a benchmark some time ago, saying it wasn't fair
because M$ set things up to their advantage. Then he realized (again!)
the power of Open Source/Free Software: Admit what you did wrong, and
fix it, make it better. The article would have been better if the
machines were equal, or if all other things would have been equal. As it
stands, it's still unfair to Linux, because the iron under the OS was
grossly in the favor of Linux. Everyone can say, "Not a valid benchmark,
as Linux had too much of an advantage."

Okay, so maybe I will post it two places. :-)

Russell

Without sharing, there would be no Internet
Without the Internet, there would be no sharing
Share your code, share your source
-- Let's build something as great as the Internet!