Re: [SLUG] New computers - need opinions

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun May 20 2001 - 10:16:29 EDT

Ed Centanni wrote:

> Assuming the video (usually ok) and the sound (can be a problem) are
> compatible I'd go with the AMD system. I like AMD processors and I
> never heard of the TRANSCEND mb. If you're looking to save some bucks,
> get a Duron CPU/MB. Good bang for the buck. You don't give enough info
> on the integrated sound to know if it's compatible but if not you can
> always disable it and put in a cheap SB clone. Just make sure you have
> a spare PCI slot. I strongly recommend you put in 128Meg ram instead of
> the 64.
>
> Ed.

Thanks for the Advice on the sound card. I'll take a look - besides, SB
clones are pretty cheap anyways. As for the RAM, I can get more at a
better price than they offer, but I don't want it sans-ram when I get
the system (www.macram.com and pricewatch are good places to find good
ram for pretty cheap). The motherboard has 2 PCI slots, an AGP slot and
an AMR(?) slot.

Again, thanks. :)

Norb