[SLUG] Modem

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 17:34:36 EDT

I have this computer operational and connected to the internet by DSL.
I have install a modem and would like to set it up but I am at a loss of how
to proceed.
For those of you interested the computer is mine; the DSL line is the
office's. I do not have DSL at home.
First the modem is a USR 56k Performance Performance Pro PCI Modem originally
manufactured by 3Com.

Intermission:
The 3Com people were nice. As far as I am concerned the USR people are jerks.

Anyway, this modem is similar to a sci modem I have in my other machine.

To begin I did the following
pnpdump > /etc/pnp.conf

There I noticed that all ports were commented out.

So then I did isapnp /etc/pnp.conf
Boy I am not sire or that one.
Any way I got no response to this command.

The problem appears to be that the modem is never activated because when you
try to dial out nothing happens. This is exactly the same problem that I had
with the old HP set which the club helped me with.

The above commands come from help at that time.

If any one knows how to proceed I would appreciate your advice.

Thank
Frank