Re: [SLUG] ok, another question...

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 16:53:52 EDT

Anita Pesola wrote:

> I downloaded what I thought was a RealPlayer version for Linux in RPM
> format. I go to install it and it comes up that I have to install VI to
> read it. Hubby looked online and the only thing he could find was a
> binary version in a "tarball". Ok, what do I do now? Running Mandrake
> 8.0 and all the Software Manager would do is read it off the disks, not
> in my /home/anita directory. Any ideas?
>
> Anita

Maybe I'm missing something here, but

1) Why would RealPlayer require the use of VI?

2) What distro doesn't come with VI anyways?

Here's what I would do: Go grab your installation CDs. Take a peek at
them and look for the package vi or vim (Vi IMproved). When yoiu find
the package, install it in your system (trust me, it's MUCH easier and
MUCH faster to do it through a command line, unless you use the package
installer. If it's anything like SuSE's then go that route. YOu won't
have to touch that nasty Ol' keyboard). Here are the commands you can
try if you're using the terminal emulator (the console window), where
">" is your prompt:

(first, check that VI is really not installed in your system)

>which vi *it will tell you which one of your
            set $PATHs VI is in, if in any

If it really is not, then procede.

> mount /mnt/cdrom *note, it might compalin if
                      it's already mounted
> cd /mnt/cdrom

> ls *vi* | less

>rpm -Uvh <whatever the VI package is>
*nifty trick: if you know that the first letters of the package are ONLY
for that package, just type them and press [TAB]. The rest of the
package name will me spelled out for you *example:
>ls *vi*
vim-34.7-12.i386.rpm virii-3.16-1.i386.rpm
>rpm -Uvh vim (press [TAB] here )
[Enter]
vim #####################################
> (you are done)

This should do it, really. Now, if you still want to go with the Tarball
(a bit of a pain in the 455, then this is what you do:

>su
(this waill ask you for your root password)

(move from here -------> to here)

>cd /usr/local/vi/

> ls *make sure the package is here

(this all just moved the package into its own directory in /usr/local.
where most of your programs should be installed, at least the ones you
use on a regular basis. Now, we install).

>tar xvzf *

(if the package makes a directory...)
>cd <new-directory-name>

>ls *look for the README and/or INSTALL packages. Read them
        get the intrusctions on how to install. Most installs
        go as follows:
> ./configure
          (bunch of stuff is spewed)
> make
          (more stuff is spewed)
> make install
           (more stuff is spewed)

Now, by this point, you've installed the program. Yippe! Now, the "make
install" MIGHT have dropped off the program link in /usr/bin or
/usr/local/bin/. Check by typing

> which vi (or vim)

If the package is there, then HEY, you're in business. If no, then the
package is here, in the directory you're at. List the contents again
(with the 'ls' command) and look arround for either vi or vi.bin (or
vim). You might have to change directories to another that might be
named 'bin' within the directory you're at. Any time you see 'bin', it's
a safe bet that it's a directory populated by the binary (hence 'bin')
of the program you just installed.

Be nice to yourself, though, find the RPM (you might want to go to
http://www.rpmfind.net for it), and install it that way.

By the way, where did you get the real player rpm, from real.com? I
dunno, I've never had a problem with VI (it's always BEEN there, though
I'm an Emacs fan, myself) not being there. What is Drake doing? Keep
this up and they'll be another Corel...

Hope this helped,
Norb