Re: [SLUG] CTS update

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 02:49:38 EDT

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 03:58:35PM -0400, Norbert Cartagena wrote:

> Derek Glidden wrote:
> >
> > Norbert Cartagena wrote:

> > > It is if you're talking about the system, not just the kernel.
> >
> > The thing I love about Linux, is that you're free to call it whatever
> > you want
>
> Yeah, but let's nor forget to give credit where credit is due. Linux
> needed GNU to come to be and GNU needed Linux to come to promenence
> (lest we all be stuck in the slower development cycle of the *BSDs).
> Now, I understand calling the system "Linux" or (as I sometimes do, by
> accident) "GNU" in spoken language as a matter of convenience, however,
> whether or not you wish to call it the such, the propper way to reffer
> to the system is GNU/Linux (afterall, most of the software in a
> GNU/Linux system IS GNU software, not the Kernel - thankfully, if you
> get my drift).

Norb, I want you to check the origin of every piece of software on your
Linux system. I read an excellent piece one time that stated that only a
small portion of the software on a Linux system is actually GNU
software. Much/most of it comes from other sources, regardless of the
fact that it may be licensed under the GNU copyleft.

Marketing-wise, "GNU/Linux" is atrocious. The mainstream press (and even
the Linux press) knows Linux as "Linux". RMS gets his dang credit every
time someone puts software under the GPL license. Similar argument for
"free software" vs. "Open Source". "Open Source" is a good marketing
name, and "free software" is not. RMS is a great hacker, but he's a
loon.

When the news guys put your face on camera, call it what you like. The
rest of us sinners will probably call it what Linus calls it: "Linux".

Paul