Re: [SLUG] In a pickle

From: patrick (patrick@llc.net)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 18:19:26 EDT

On Sunday 27 May 2001 04:50 pm, you wrote:
> Don't you get 30 or 60 days free support if you buy the distro? This is
> an unusual problem that appears to be file system corruption. Mandrake 8
> is probably the best distro for a newbie, but it has so many bleeding
> edge progs in it that it is not as stable as RedHat or SuSE.

i have mandrake 8 in my amd machine for a few weeks now and
have no stability problems. can u prove your statement. u cant
by me.

and my point is we ALL have got to get rid of its not as good as
my distro, or im gonna run down this distro to make mine look better.
 i have had no problems with mandrake 8. the only problem i have
had is i cant seem to update my nvida drivers. hopefully in the
near future we will be able to update video drivers in a little easier
fashion.

> Interactions of newly released modules have an inherent degree of
> unpredictability. A friend of mine who is an experienced linux sys
> admin reports to me that Mandrake 8, which he runs, has some performance
> quirks. Take that on advisement. I tried mand8 for a week and it broke
> on me.
> I can only make this suggestion: when you install any distro with the
> 2.4.x kernel, use ext2fs on the boot partition and reiserfs (pronounced
> "riser") on everything else. These seems to make for a very stable
> combination.
> Smitty

that is the como i am using. i havent had a system since using ext2 on
boot and reiserts on everyelse.

> "Maureen L. Thomas" wrote:
> > I cannot figure out why my Mandrake 8.0 system freezes on bootup. I get
> > the following messages as it boots.
> >
> > EXT2-fs warning (device ide0 (3,70)): ext2_unlink: Deleting
> > nonexisting file (114711), 0
> > EXT2-fs warning (device ide0 (3,70)): ext2_unlink: Deleting
> > nonexisting file (114712), 0
> > EXT2-fs warning (device ide0 (3,70)): ext2_unlink: Deleting
> > nonexisting file (114713), 0
> >
> > Then a little further down it freezes at Running Linuxconf hooks:
> >
> > I did a fsck on the partitions and they fixed a few items - no lost and
> > found file - and that was about it. But when I rebooted with shutdown
> > -r now it frooze in Linux and in Failsafe at the same place with the
> > same messages. I have no clue where to go from here. Can someone lead
> > me in the right direction. TIA Maureen

the only suggestion i would made is be sure and set your bios to
non plug and plug. and then reinstall. i have messed around with
my mandrake and installed it as newbie and expert and changed drives
and added more and less software. i have no problems with it.

what is your machine. if its abit i have been hearing that abit motherboards
seem to have some problems with linux period.