Re: [SLUG] In a pickle

From: Smitty (76543a@mpinet.net)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 21:31:40 EDT

patrick wrote:

> On Sunday 27 May 2001 04:50 pm, you wrote:
> > Don't you get 30 or 60 days free support if you buy the distro? This is
> > an unusual problem that appears to be file system corruption. Mandrake 8
> > is probably the best distro for a newbie, but it has so many bleeding
> > edge progs in it that it is not as stable as RedHat or SuSE.
>
> i have mandrake 8 in my amd machine for a few weeks now and
> have no stability problems. can u prove your statement. u cant
> by me.

That is my experience and that of several folks I know who use it or
have used it. Actually,
Aron Hsiou made a similar comment in a book on Linux Security that I
have. Also, I suggest you read Bruce Schneier's recent book Secrets &
Lies. There is quite a bit of info in there about what can happen when
undebugged programs interact. This is not a rundown of Mandrake 8 - I
just bought a copy for a friend who wants to try linux. I am commenting
based on my level of knowledge - which is in no way naive. I am happy
you are using Mndk8 without any problems!
Smitty