Re: [SLUG] In a pickle

From: Smitty (76543a@mpinet.net)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 21:43:21 EDT

Norbert Cartagena wrote:

> patrick wrote:
> >

> > > is probably the best distro for a newbie, but it has so many bleeding
> > > edge progs in it that it is not as stable as RedHat or SuSE.
> >
> > i have mandrake 8 in my amd machine for a few weeks now and
> > have no stability problems. can u prove your statement. u cant
> > by me.
> >

> Actually, other than the repeated personal accounts provided by various
> members numerous times regarding Drake and instability (my own included
> - and I had used drake 6.1/6.5/7.0a/7.0b/7.1/7.2, seeing it get cooler
> yet more unreliable almost every time, save for 7.0-7.1), no, I suppose
> that you can't. Nevertheless, Smitty is correct in his statement that
> Mandrake attempts to but so many bleeding edge techs into their distro -
> that's both a strength and a weaknes. Strength because anyone can now
> say "ooh! Lookie all the nifty toys!! I can do anything I want!"
> Weakness because newer techs will have more undiscovered bugs and
> therefore stability problems. What you have had is your own experience
> on that machine. Who knows, maybe it'll act alot quitkier with a
> different set of hardware? I know that this is often the case. My SuSE
> system works spectacularly on my laptop but on my desktop it's given me
> enough little problems that it makes me think that perhaps I should try
> another distro (I keep trying, unsuccessfully to upgrade stormix - still
> one of my favorites - to Progeny).
>
> And, actually, I still contend that SuSE is just as easy to use for
> newbies as Drake with better docimentation ;o) (IMHO - no distro wars,
> please!)

Ya. However, my concern with recommending SuSE to a newbie is the
inconvenient tech support -
when you call them now you reach Germany and you usually have to phone
in the morning. The support team is good, but their english isn't often
fluent. I know some german, so I have conversed using both, but that is
not for everybody. It is a full featured, stable distro in my
experience, however.