Re: [SLUG] nVidia stability

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 00:45:26 EDT

Travis Walls wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I am ok at hardware but I am still new to "new school" stuff... isn't an AGP
> slot a PCI slot with special access to cpu bus and memory? and isn't any

More or less, yeah.

> thing on the cpu bus going to be inherently unstable in the first place. I

To some extent, although PCI and AGP don't _really_ have "direct" access
- they still have to go through the bus controller.

> guess my point is, I have used a PCI TNT in my system and an AGP4X TNT2 in
> the same system and noticed very little difference in performance. When you

Depends on what you're doing. It's possible, if you have a fast enough
CPU, that the TNT2 chip simply isn't fast enough at blasting bits onto
the screen that pumping data across even the PCI bus will max out its
rendering speed. Upping to AGPx4 isn't going to help any because even
at normal PCI speeds, the chip is saturated.

> guys mention "disabling AGP" in the nvidia drivers you're simply making it a
> PCI card with no special access and thus it must compete with other devices
> on the main PCI bus that don't do bus mastering right? I guess all I want to

Sort of. You're also slowing the card's bus clock down to "normal" PCI
speeds and preventing the card from trying to do tricksy stuff to your
system RAM. Not too many things nowadays are really going to cause
contention on a PCI bus. It used to be true that there were problems
between "bus mastered" and "non-bus mastered" devices, but AFAIK, modern
PCI devices and chipsets are essentially _all_ treated as bus mastered
devices. Only really broken PCI chipsets can still cause bus contention
to a point that it's a problem.

> know is, could someone with some tweaking experience help me with getting my
> tnt2 more stable. It makes me sick to clear out all my windows programs in
> the interest of stability and security only to have crashes in 3D progs in
> linux!

The simplest thing, I would say for you to try is add the line:

Option "NVAGP" "0"

in your XF86Config-4 file and see if stability improves at all. If that
doesn't help, unfortunately, you're kind of screwed since nobody but
nVidia can troubleshoot their drivers...

With Microsoft products, failure is not           Derek Glidden
an option - it's a standard component.      http://3dlinux.org/
Choose your life.  Choose your            http://www.tbcpc.org/
future.  Choose Linux.              http://www.illusionary.com/