Re: [SLUG] Digital Camera - Linux Compatible?

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 00:32:53 EDT

edoc wrote:

> Anyone aware of a list of digital cameras that are Linux compatible?
> (They may also be Windows compatible, if they must!)

There are a ton of 'em, mostly compatible in one way or another with
GPhoto. Check the website (http://www.gphoto.org/) for a complete list.

Also, for the ones that use SmartMedia cards, I've been using the "Zio!"
USB SmartMedia adapter fairly successfully lately with the driver in the
2.4 kernel. There are a couple other brands that may be more or less
supported. Check around on the USB compatibility lists before you pick
one up though.

> I'd like to find something simple and cheap (probably used or refurbished)
> for the children and something a little better for us to use.
>
> Questions: Do all of these things come with a little screen to review the
> pictures taken? Any other features I should look for?

A lot of 'em have screens nowadays. Personally, I'd say go for anything
2.1 mpixel or up. True reoslutions less than around 1600x1200 IMNSHO is
just asking for crap.

I picked up an Olympus D-490 Zoom recently that I've been pretty happy
with personally. It's definitely not a professional camera (I use my
Canon EOS for the sort of photos I really must have high quality) but
it's nice to take to family get-togethers and the like.

With Microsoft products, failure is not           Derek Glidden
an option - it's a standard component.      http://3dlinux.org/
Choose your life.  Choose your            http://www.tbcpc.org/
future.  Choose Linux.              http://www.illusionary.com/