Re: [SLUG] Thank you for the Show!

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 01:00:05 EDT

> I had a great amount of fun. For me the best part of it was the looks of
> confusion and/or surprise when people would say, "Free?" It was almost
> as if they thought I was saying "Pirated." :-) I never once got tired of
> saying the mantra: Yes, it's free in both senses of the word. Yes, you
> can have a copy. Make one for your friends. Put it on your network. No,
> you don't have to pay any licensing fees. And so on...

*L* This is ALWAYS my favorite part - well, save for when I got into it
with a guy from Microsoft who apparently had never heard of Java or
Kerberos and thought that he was wntitles to special rights be cause he
was with Microslop and we were "just Unix guys." I REEEEAAAAALLLYYYY
felt like a full blown software/licence/respect for humanity/just about
anything else related to software argument. But back to the Free thing.
Yeah, I think I loved Federico's reply of "yes, I know this is a hard
concept to grasp, but it's free" and the such. And frankly, I don't
think I have so much fun as when I speak to someone who hears that MS is
NOT the only game in town and decide to switch (yes, having diplay
computers at hand is VERY helpful). Ahh... feeling like I did a service
to humanity :) Just wish that I could explain things a bit better, more
concise, as opposed to feeling compelled to explain every little detail
:-\ In this I gotta take a page from roblimo's book (one of them)

Norb