[SLUG] Kudos

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 01:25:13 EDT

SLUGs:

As you probably know by now, we had a great show. Small venue, but
again, we had the best booth attendance in the place. We made a lot of
noise, a lot of waves, worked hard and had boatloads of fun. There are
tons of stories to tell. Most booths at shows like this are manned by
people who look like they'd rather be somewhere else. Not the SLUG
booth.

If you missed the pictures, see

http://www.nks.net/CTS/

Special thanks to Jon "maddog" Hall, who gave the keynote speech and
several other presentations. He was very gracious, and everyone was
thrilled to have their pictures taken with him and get him semi-alone to
talk to him. There was also a dinner or two with him. I've sent him our
thanks privately by email. He also wants a SLUG shirt (!), which I'll
send him when we reorder.

And thanks to Robin Miller, Ralph Cooley and the other speakers (whose
names I don't know). They kept our little corner of the expo rocking
with interesting and informative talks on a variety of subjects.

Also special thanks to NKS (especially Eric Bravick and Derek Glidden).
These guys host our list and provided a rack, music, and low speed
(33.6) internet connection. (This wasn't their fault; Harborview doesn't
quite "get" the internet yet.) NKS also provided technical expertise and
general light heartedness. Derek provided an extra touch of fun with the
photos (see above).

Thanks also to Tina Gasperson for helping to make us famous. ;-}

And of course, special thanks to Bill Preece and Diana Lenko. Bill and
Diana worked harder than anyone else on this, spent money out of their
own pockets on it, and generally made it happen. Without them, it
wouldn't have happened, or would have been pretty second rate.

Thanks also go out to the following (in no particular order) for their
hard work and good cheer:

Robin Mayhue
Jeff Skube
Tom Ufer
Russell Hires
Kevin Counts
Federico Paini
Larry Sanders
Ian Blenke
Glen Canaday
Dee Murray
Chris Pace
Jim Lange
John Tafel
Norb Cartagena

Yes, some people got left out, and I apologize. If you worked the booth
and I didn't mention your name, thanks to you too. Again, you all did an
outstanding job. We have a great crew of penguinistas.

Of course, the organizers want us back in their next show in Tampa in October.

Will five months be enough time to recharge Bill's batteries? Stay
tuned.

Paul M. Foster
President
Suncoast Linux Users Group (SLUG)