Re: [slug] Re: [SLUG] "Little Confrontation" on Slashdot

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 23:40:44 EDT

> I just saw the Slashdot article before reading your message. It has a
> link to Tina's fine article but I didn't see any links to the SLUG
> website. I am surprised it wasn't hyperlinked from the either article.
> Should we try to get the site noticed? Can the website stand up to
> being slashdotted? Of course, you don't really know until
> it happens... :)

The host has been slashdotted before and groaned .. In advance
of the show (-- recall the DNS change last Saturday --), with
notice to the President of the group, I beefed up the server
with 4x the ram, and a much better kernel/webserver set than
it had say two weeks ago.

The site had the mosts hits ever in May 2001 -- see:
   http://www.suncoastlug.org/usage/index.html even with 5
day's data on another host and not reflected in the stats in
the analyzer. On the 30th, a lot of folks went home from the
show and looked at the SLUG site.
   http://www.suncoastlug.org/usage/usage_200105.html
Daily hits are up 50% so far ...

-- Russ