Re: [SLUG] "Tarballs"????

From: Scott Piper (piper@ij.net)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 11:46:41 EDT

as far as I know, the -v option is for verbose, which I never use. According
to the man page, -p is for keeping permissions, but then again maybe I'm using
an old version of tar

Here's what I do for a gzipped tar (usually .tgz or tar.gz)

tar -zxf filename

If it is bzipped instead (usually ends with .bz2) then you change the -z to
an i, as in

tar -Ixf filename

    scott