Re: [SLUG] incredible statement

From: Ed Centanni (ecentan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 07:49:51 EDT

patrick wrote:

> On Sunday 03 June 2001 05:54 am, you wrote:
> > Smitty wrote:
> >

> > <snip>
> >
> > > This would create a very bad public relations situation for ms which
> > > could be usede as ammunition again and again. You have to aggressively
> > > oppose the Nazi mentality of microsoft. Microsoft must die.
> > > Smitty
> >
> > Microsoft isn't all bad -- they can serve as a bad example.
> >
> > Seriously, I don't want an all-Linux world, or all-BSD, or all-anything
> > world any more than I want an all-microsoft world. If Linux could just
> > double it's desktop presence from 15% to 30%, (at least enough that apps
> > would be automatically ported) that would turn that market into a
> > genuinely competitive one, then everyone wins and I could finally get a
> > job writing Linux code instead of microsoft dreck.
> >
> > Ed.
>
> ed, i am beginning to think that kde is what is gonna make linux
> the desktop opertating system. i have read the other day that
> kde has been ported to mac and to windoes. what do u think of
> this statement

KDE will be a strong influence, (he says rising to the bait) but I
support the idea of choice in desktop environments just as I do
operating systems. There's just no good reason for applications to be
tied to one desktop environment unless they are the applications that
create the desktop environment. Kparts and Bonobo ( the respective
component libs for each desktop) are moving toward compatibility and
that's as it should be.

Unfortunately for Gnome, GTK+ and glib, the toolkit and windowing API
compatability layer, on which Gnome is based, are not yet functionally
portable to Windows. I installed The Gimp on my wife's NT box and it
was un-usable -- mainly due to glib fighting with the win32 API. Until
that is cleared up, GTK/Gnome based apps will be strictly limited to
Unix/Linux platforms or possibly MacOS.

At least for the time being, for development teams wanting to write
once, deploy many, and *perform acceptably*, QT is a clear choice. I'm
not happy about that. I prefer to code using GTK.

Of course there's winelib but using it makes it mandatory that programs
be written using the windows API and if you've ever coded a serious app
in that *$&@^*@&!!, and coded with QT or GTK, and know the difference,
you'd know why winelib is just not acceptable for new applications.
That's not a dig at winelib, it's wonderful for porting existing windows
code to Linux and will serve admirably as a transition tool, but I would
never willingly choose the Windows API for a new application.

The evil spawn of microsoft must die.

Ed.