Re: [SLUG] incredible statement

From: patrick (patrick@llc.net)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 21:29:06 EDT

On Sunday 03 June 2001 08:48 pm, you wrote:
> On Sunday 03 June 2001 14:31, patrick wrote:
> > i would agree with u. but to start to get all these people we need one
> > unifying dekstop, or at least all the desktops to be unified in some
>
> There were up to 6 quote marks in the previous message... ugh.
> "We" don't want a unifying desktop. As I write this, I am using kmail
> (kde/qt) to compose this email, and gmc (gtk) is running behind it.
> Just to prove that it could be done, I am running twm for a window manager.
> That's as unified as I want it to get.

good for u. thats the glory of Linux. we can be most everybody
else. i do realize that in this slug group most people would
disagree with me (probably) but for most people in the
world WE do want a unifying desktop. not necessarily
a single desktop. kde is it. for better or worse, for richer
or poorer, kde is it. there is nothing out there for linux
that is so polished and works nearly as well. maybe in
the future something will along and dethrone it. i doubt
it but its possible.

> The real unification here is X which by the way, is actually a server.

for those people who dont want to work with kde. dont.
use what u want. u dont have to. most of the rest of us
love kde. kde is used on 70 percent of linux desktops now.
soon it will be on windoes and macs and whatever else
there is left out there. i think we all should like this . its happening.
why not be glad for it. u dont have to use it, u are absolutely
free to use a terminal at any time.

> peace

resistance is futtile, enjoy your assimilation.
                                        :)