Re: [SLUG] no more mr nice guy

From: Anita (jb2@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 13:11:12 EDT

> Speaking of movies, I saw "Swordfish" last night. Verdict: Good action
> flick, typical lame hollywood computer flick. What does this have to do
> with Linux?
>
> "The greatest computer hacker in the world", a Finn named Torvalds, is a
> character (played by a non-descript young actor) that gets whacked early
> in the movie. He is portrayed as a cracker and but called hacker --
> typcal hollywood cluelessness. I see his assasination as an affront
> and I'm upset with Warner Bro. taking a microsoft-type (ms inspired?)
> swipe at anyone as respectable and admired as Linus.
>
> I'd recommend it as an action flick, but to enjoy it you have to park
> all your computer knowledge and a bit of rightious indignation, at the
> door,
>

> Ed.

As a personal aside (and this is said not to start a religious war) I am
boycotting and refusing to see or purchase any movies with anyone in
them that is connected with the Church of Scientology. No Travolta,
Cruise, Kirstie Alley or Jenna Elfman or even Lisa Kudrow. And I will
not purchase anything that has to do with Elvis. I'm not going to be
willingly responsible for putting money in that "church's" pockets.

Just my opinion. If you want to know the reasons, email me off list.
I'll be happy to tell you about it.

Anita
PS. That includes Earthlink, which was founded by a member.