Re: [slug] Re: [SLUG] Want Linux on your desktop? Nine reasons to forget about it

From: Mark (mark@bish.net)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 12:13:33 EDT

We have already been the way of the $200 appliance. It also has taken off
just like Linux on the desktop. But when you go to Circuit City or Best
Buy you don't see them or don't see them as well as their true desktops.

I only bring that up because we are talking about general acceptance not
me or you going out and getting one.

And what is the address of the politics list? (slug-politics?)

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, herrold wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Russell Hires wrote:
>
> > Can I get a witness to the original article! .... No....well, why not? All
> > good rebuttals here, Mike...
>
> The article is FUD from the Micro-philes; a priest arguing celebacy
> is great to a frat house, here.
>
> Actually better still, consider the thinknic.com units -- $200 for a
> chassis, OS, sound, ethernet, keyboard, mouse, modem -- all but the
> monitor -- and ISO images available for customizing in your own
> desktop in a corporate environment, all under the GPL -- are awfully
> tempting -- no SPA piracy police, no license woes, no 'tinkering' by
> end users, no virus worries, negligible cost of install to get
> going. SSH will work in the Netscape with the mindterm client for
> terminal access. Web-collaboration tools - contact manager,
> scheduler, directory are maturing well in the Open Source world.
>
> I was building a proposal for a customer to make the switch,
> finally, away from Windows, to *nix X-tops -- pricing is a no
> brainer -- support is easier --
>
> -- Russ

| Mark Bishop (mark@bish.net) | Computer Engineer |
| 813.258.2390 | Network Engineer |