Re: [SLUG] another fud story

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 22:27:10 EDT

I don't think it's total FUD. It's misinformation. More than that, since
when has anyone but a Mac or Linux fan ever written a "Why I hate M$
Winblows" article? You don't see that in M$ ...Oops, I mean 'PC'
Magazine, do you? Nope.

I think he's right about the whole Cost of Ownership thing: Red Hat and
Caldera are who he's talking about with the whole "Pricing" thing. They
want to charge "Per Seat" just like M$. It's actually reasonable to do
it that way. After all, you're paying for support, not the software
itself, right? Stupidly, though, he asks, "Who thought of that?" M$ is
who...

And then the Code Keys thing: He's just upset that Linux _users_ are
actually smarter than Windows _Programmers_. There's ten million times
more crackers in the Windblows world than in the Linux world. Besides,
the only thing illegal about it is that the copyright owners didn't want
anyone to crack the codes. There is actually no law against it. Illegal
copying is going to happen no matter what OS you've got. ***t happens...

You're right about the rest: very outdated. In fact, I've got an
OpenLinux 2.3 CD with the 2.2.10 kernel that installed just fine on my
486dx...very automatically...

My short list of retorts, that actually make more sense than the
original article.

Russell

Without sharing, there would be no Internet
Without the Internet, there would be no sharing
Share your code, share your source
-- Let's build something as great as the Internet!