Re: [SLUG] ms brag implodes!

From: Tina Gasperson (tinahdee@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 13:37:01 EDT

Actually, all I've been able to find out is that MS
has one mission critical system at NASDAQ. It's called
"marketwatch." It monitors the market for suspicious
or unusually heavy activity on any particular
company's stock and can halt trading on that stock. MS
has posted a case study on that at

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/exec/casestudy/casestudy/nasdaq.asp

And then there's the infamous "Linux Myths,"
originally posted on October 4, 1999, that states in
part:

"The Linux community likes to talk about Linux as a
stable and reliable operating system, yet there are no
real world data or metrics and very limited customer
evidence to back up these claims.
Windows NT 4.0 has been proven in demanding customer
environments to be a reliable operating system.
Customers such as Barnes and Noble, The Boeing
Company, Chicago Stock Exchange, Dell Computer, Nasdaq
and many others run mission-critical applications on
Windows NT 4.0."

The full paper is at

http://www.microsoft.com/NTServer/nts/news/msnw/LinuxMyths.asp

I've still not been able to ascertain what NASDAQ runs
on; Worldcom stuff seems to run on Solaris, all
NASDAQ's web stuff runs on IIS and Windows 2000, so it
wouldn't be too much of a stretch to assume that
they're msofties all the way. But we want to know for
sure before we gloat. :-)

Tina

 In fact, if you want to make an