Re: [SLUG] Ever heard of OpenNic?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 22:26:12 EDT

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 06:54:55PM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:

> I did a little more reading on this whole issue after my original post. They
> simply propose to become what ICANN should be (according to them): truly
> democratic. One person one vote. Their thought is to have various non-profit
> entities keep control over their system, and a vote of the majority can
> overturn any policy or create new ones....I guess I'm also looking at this
> from their democratic perspective (good propaganda on their part, eh?) as
> they both rail against large (semi-)non-accountable organizations, and yet
> allow provision for such entities to exist anyway.
>
> On the other hand, perhaps this is just an attempt to get The Powers That Be
> to adopt some democratic reforms when it comes to TLD's...They are taking an
> extreme position simply to cause some movement in their direction (such as
> Huey Long during the depression: he caused FDR to make his social programs
> more generous because Long was proposing even more generous packages himself
> if he got elected president).

I suspect this is the reason. Naturally these guys are going to
propagandize their viewpoint. OTOH, I don't know who makes up ICANN,
what accountability they have, etc. I presume since they took this task
away from Network Solutions/InterNIC, that they vested the power in an
organization that the world would see as more neutral. Particularly
since the claim at the time was that InterNIC primarily served the
interests of the United States. But then again, I could be naive on this
point.

> BTW, since the internet is global in nature, and the way that current IPv4
> addresses are allocated (the majority being available only in the US, and
> nowhere else), how long will it be before IPv6 hits the streets in any
> forceful way?

I would have expected it long ago. And with IP masquerading, there is
some relief of pressure. If I had to guess, I'd say 5 - 10 years before
we see real adoption of IPv6. And if you believe this, I've got some
stock picks for you. ;-}

Paul