[SLUG] video card

From: Travis Walls (twalls@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 13:06:39 EDT

Hi all,

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX 400. Yes that is right, there are three
different kinds of cards in the MX series. I think, not positive, the
MX 200 is worst, the MX is ok, and the MX 400 is best. Well, I got the
MX 400 with 64 MB of RAM and TV-Out for under $100. It works like a
charm under Red Hat Linux 7.1. Note that I am also using a KT133 chipset
that is rumored to be unstable with NVIDIA cards. That was true for my
NVIDIA TNT2 M64, but my GF2MX400 is running fine. I play GLTron, Quake 3
Arena, Tuxracer, and tons of other 3D games in linux just fine for hours
at a time without any crashes or freezes. AA fonts work fine in KDE
2.1.1 and Ximian GNOME 1.4 runs beautifully. After popping in the GF2, I
could feel the increase in 2D speed as my desktop popped up surprisingly
quicker! Go figure... Well that is my two cents.

Travis

BTW I did get TwinView and TV-Out to work but it doesnt appear to be
stable for ordinary use yet. Also, the manufacturer of the card is
PowerColor. The card came bundled with full Windows version of Unreal
Tournament if you wanna play with Wine.