[SLUG] Linux Terminal Emulators

From: Aharon (aharon@superfreeway.com)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 09:03:14 EDT

In my constant work to get my place of employment to switch from M$
desktops to Linux, I have run into a snag. Our Enterprise application is
telnet based, and uses VT220 or Wyse50 or Wyse60. Our Windows terminal
emulation package for the application actually runs on Linux through Wine.
But, they would still have to buy licenses for this package, and my goal
is to not make them spend the $$$ for anymore licenses.

What I need is a good Linux terminal that will support those emulations.
I know the xterm provided with KDE supports VT220. But, apparently it's
not 100% correct, because the app doesnt draw correctly through it. I
would even be happy with wyse support if I could find it.

I dont know if any of the people here who work for large companies are
currently having M$ licensing issues like we are.. We have 2,000 OEM
licensed M$ desktops out there. Microsoft is requiring us to either
upgrade thier licensing to XP, or buy an Enterprise license. Either way,
this is going to cost us $600,000+ every 2-3 years to get the licenses and
renew them. If we dont, we lose support, and everytime a computers hard
drive is replaced we have to legally pay for a new M$ license for that
computer. Becuase an OEM license is only for the original parts shipped
by the manufacturer.

I know I could get a majority of our current desktop computers switched
over to Linux if I could get this emulation problem worked out. All the
desktop computers need is web suport and terminal emulation. Plus, my
boss would be forced to switch if this happened.. No one can compete
against free when it comes to $600,000+ .

--
Unix Administrator
Tampa, Florida

Websites: http://www.tamparacing.com http://www.ls6.com http://www.lastgen.com