[SLUG] Null modem connection

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 09:34:02 EDT

Hey everyone,

I've got this old x86 machine (my first one!) that I just installed Debian
on, but because it's so old I've got ISA slots, not PCI. Debian's potato
installer didn't recognize the ISA ethernet cards, but I've got two serial
ports...hopefully one of them is a modem -- I'll have to make sure it isn't a
WinModem, though. How would I do that? Anyway, assuming I can use a modem via
a serial port, how would I create a null modem connection from my
PowerMac-Linux to my x86-Linux? They're both running Debian (isn't that cool?
:-), if that makes any difference. I want to be able to get the kernel source
from the PowerMac to the x86 box via this null modem connection: a phone
line is about all they have in common, hardware-wise...

I also checked linuxdoc.org, and the HOWTOs there are mostly about null modem
from Linux to Windows...If anyone wants to point to documentation on this,
that would be great, too.

Thanks for the help!

Russell