[SLUG] Re: Figuring out old hardware

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 09:06:43 EDT

Hooo boy! PC Hardware is more difficult than I thought. Jumpers, IRQ's, COM
ports, conflicts! I need a serious PC education. I've been through a bunch of
hardware related web sites, but I don't really know where to start to get
answers to some (any) of my questions.

Here's my really long post: First, Thanks to those that responded to my first
inquiries about this. The information has been helpful and useful. I found
out that my ISA plug n play ethernet cards don't respond to the isapnp or
pnpdump commands: no cards found. I went to the pnpdump web page, and there
is a blurb on this, but none of the solutions were too helpful there, even
the one about the "no cards found" issue.

So, I then went on a hunt for information on the motherboard, which has an
AMI BIOS, though the motherboard itself was made by a company called PC
Chips. The reason I was researching the M/B was because I don't know how the
IRQ's COM's are set up (or exactly how it matters -- remember, I've never
played with PC hardware before, I've only ever had Macs), and I thought I
could get a picture of this particular M/B. I couldn't find one, nor could I
find any real info on it, either. It's got a 7 slot ISA bus, with an IDE
controller card taking one of the slots.

I checked the hardware-HOWTO, and looked at the Ethernet-HOWTO, but these
both assume I have access to the kernel source, but the Debian CD I've got
doesn't include it on that particular one. (It's on another, but I don't have
it! ) I looked at the "Biggest archive of Motherboards on the net" and they
didn't have any information on my particular problem...

Then, after all that, I thought I would just attempt to get some basic
information on COM and IRQ, but I don't know where to start. I don't want to
spend another $20-$40 on " a great book by O'Reilly," that's for sure.

All this for a firewall. Of course, I need to know about x86 hardware anyway,
since it dominates the world! :-) So, anyone can point me in the right
direction? I hope this isn't too off topic.........

Russell