[SLUG] Figuring out old hardware - Mouse

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 09:29:09 EDT

On Sunday 22 July 2001 09:06 am, you wrote:
> Hooo boy! PC Hardware is more difficult than I thought.
<Snip>

> Russell

Talking about old hardware. I have an old 4 button mouse (3 on top + enter
on the side) that is really nice physically but I haven't clue into how to
configure.

The problem is that the connector on the end is serial and the connector on
the main-board is PS2.

I have a physically correct adapter from serial to PS2 (physically correct
meaning the cables plug together) but as the lady who gave it to me told me
at the time it probable is not wired correctly. After testing it I don't
believe it is wired correctly. Not certain because I could be having a
software problem but I believe she was correct.

The only piratical physical solution would to make my own jumper interface.
Not to difficult if one knew where the wires are suppose to connect.

The only other solution to this problem would have to be software because
finding a correct adapter would probable as impossible as finding a 4 button
mouse.

If any one has any ideas I am interested.

Meanwhile I am continuing to use my PS2 3 button mouse.

Thanks
Frank