Re: [SLUG] root mysql password

From: Bob File (rfile@innet.com)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 20:51:57 EDT

On Thursday 19 July 2001 15:00, Derek Glidden wrote:
> Patrick Grantham wrote:
> > Boy do I feel like a fool. How does one break the root password of the
> > mysql? Neither from the command line nor via webmin am I unable to login
> > (to mysql) as root even if login to the box as root.

I think the mysql_install_db utility will reset the table with passwords in
it.

Here is part of it's ouput:
Preparing db table
Preparing host table
Preparing user table
Preparing func table
Preparing tables_priv table
Preparing columns_priv table
Installing all prepared tables

then there is this message:
PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
This is done with:
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -p password 'new-password'
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h bubba -p password 'new-password'
See the manual for more instructions.

You can start the MySQL daemon with:
cd /usr ; /usr/bin/safe_mysqld &