Re: [SLUG] IRC channel / Guest speakers

From: Scott Glenn (sag@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 08:39:02 EDT

Bob File wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 July 2001 17:03, Tina Gasperson wrote:
> > Yeah, but what do you guys think about having guest
> > 'speakers' in IRC? Any opinions? Forget RMS - it ain't
> > happenin' because we're not changing our name. :-)
>
> <joke quality="eh?"> Who needs little Richard when we have "The Bills" ?
> </joke>
>
> I think I would rather see tech or howto show up. Advocacy/politcal type
> stuff gets a but windy for irc. IMO

It's hard not to be impressed by rms' adherence to his views on
free software and that they have remained virtually unchanged
since the early 80's. He is probably the most interviewed free
software advocate on the planet. You can get a pretty clear
picture of his views by reading the philosophy docs at

http://www.gnu.org

and then following that up with the google search

http://www.google.com/search?q=richard+stallman+interview

I am not sure an IRC session with him could answer any questions
or expose any opinions he has not previously expressed.

->Scott