Re: [SLUG] Help , linux newby

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 17:14:31 EDT

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 01:31:04PM -0700, Norbert Cartagena wrote:

> > I attended the Sat. Dunedin meeting, and wanted to
> > find a way to install linux on my laptop (but still
> > keep my windows system until I learned some linux).
> >
> > Several members suggested I download Toms root
> > boot at
> > www.toms.net/rb , which I understood would run
> > linux
> > from a floppy on my laptop without removing my
> > windows
> > system. Alas, I did download it and ran the
> > floppy,
> > but now I cannot boot to windows , even with the
> > floppy
> > removed. Does anyone have a suggestion how I can
> > get
> > my windows system running again on my laptop?
>
> Ok, first of all, how is it you wanna learn Linux
> here, hardcore (text only) or as a possible substitute
> for Windows (GUI required)? If the latter, did anyone
> suggest getting a distribution to simply partition
> part of the Laptop's hard drive space?

<snip>

He has no CD-ROM drive, the non-Windows partition is _way_ too small for
most distros, and he's comfortable with DOS; he was advised that what he
would get doing something like this was pure command line.

Unfortunately, it appears he made some mistake, because normally Tom's
root/boot won't overwrite your boot sector (which is what it looks like
happened).

The advice regarding the Win9X boot floppy is probably best.

Paul