Re: [SLUG] Samba & RH 7.0 - DNS

From: Jason Copenhaver (jcopenha@typedef.org)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 21:12:36 EDT

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:

> Next day same song next verse
>
> Shake it to the left,
> Shake it to the right,
> Drop it to the parking lot from the fourth floor.

<snip of humorous story>

> Anyway back to Linux.
>
> I can make smb client list the services available if I change /etc/hosts from
>
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
>
> to the following:
>
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
> # LAN Addresses Short Name Full Name
> 192.168.1.1 lan_sys_opt lan_sys_opt.office.lan
> 192.168.1.2 lan_user1 lan_user_1.office.lan
>
> Only problem is when I do this my modem will dial out but it will not connect.
>
> Thanks
> Frank

You might want to look at your /etc/nsswitch.conf and make sure the line
that says 'hosts:' reads 'files ....' it probably reads 'dns ... files' .
This will change it so that programs do a DNS lookup in the /etc/hosts
file first rather than the remote DNS server.. I think you might want to
change the networks: line also

Jason